Wednesday 11 June 2014

The euphoria of a holiday!





I have a holiday dance...it’s something between Etighi and Alanta. I just recently threw in Skelewu on the 29th of May, you know, just to update the dance.
So I got to showcase my improved dance move this morning when I was reminded that tomorrow is the 12th of June. How delighted I was.

However, the thing is, I realized, a lot of us do not know what the holiday stands for and this is not just about the 12th of June, but also about every other holiday. We don’t know the history, the reason, nothing. If you fall into my category, you probably just think...ahhhhh....holiday.....no work tomorrow....God bless whatever caused this day.
So to reduce my ignorance, I took out time to study a bit of history, just to know what the 12th of June really stands for and I think you should too, but when you are done researching, please relax!!!

I was with some of my colleagues today and we were talking about the importance of a vacation. It seems to me that people in this part of the world do not really see the need for a vacation. We are probably thinking vacation ke? Is that why we are here?
If every Nigerian man is like my dad, then they are all probably thinking, vacation Kwa? Bhet who will takia of my bizness ehn? (With his cute Igbo accent...lol).
The truth however, is, you will take care of your business but you need to be in top shape to take care of that business.

Your body needs to respond to the tasks that you have to complete, it can’t do that if you constantly wear it out. I tell people, your job is not the source of your livelihood, your body is (apart from God). Without your body, you possibly can’t go to that job that fetches you so much money in the first place. So first take good care of your body.

I was waiting in the car one day when a taxi driver from nowhere suddenly lost control of his brakes and crashed right beside the car I was in. Then people started saying "no mind these useless taxi drivers, Na omo water dem dey use do brake oil". And I’m there thinking, really? Omo water? Brake oil? Now tell me, how much is the brake oil compared to the money that taxi driver was going to need to fix the already crashed taxi.

Liken that scenario to us humans. We are no different and should learn to treat our bodies’ right! Next time you think taking a vacation is expensive, think about how much more expensive it will be to take care of a bed-ridden body. The good news is, a good holiday doesn’t necessarily have to be expensive. There are beautiful places in your country, you can’t imagine!

So take time out of your busy schedules and relax. You my Ibo brother...yes you...biko relax utunu...dead body no dey chop money! I like money too oh, some people think I like it a bit too much, but then again, no apologies for liking the good life. However, my life is more important, after all if I die now, you people will just gather, eat Akara and move on...Mba! Tufiakwa!

Next time your boss doesn’t approve your leave/vacation, look him straight in the eye and say tufiakwa! (This way, you will be on permanent leave. Lol). But seriously, let’s make it a habit to relax once in a while and refresh our bodies. Like they say "body no be firewood".

I heard the 12th of June is only observed in APC governed states, that’s a pity. I suffer from something called political apathy, so APC, PDP….IDC…cheers to the free day!

No comments:

Post a Comment